Wednesday, June 21, 2006

All growed up

The end of semester always inspires a sense of freedom in me - the sense that I've now got all this spare time, in which to do, well, whatever I want.

Anything at all. I could read one of the hundreds of books on my bookshelf that I've always wanted to read. I could clean up my desk, or even tackle one of the massively overdue tasks on my to-do list (tax returns spring to mind*).

I could do anything. I could, say, take up another instrument, or even start another degree.

I'm in the danger zone. It's a bit like being on drugs (I suppose). A sense of possibility, of indestructability. And of course, this time it would be different. I wouldn't be up at 2am one morning in about 4 months time cursing my own stupidity and lamenting the death of my interest in what could possibly have been a fascinating subject.

When I was in Bathurst last week, my aunt mentioned to me a book she was reading, about adolescence. Unfortunately, I can remember neither title nor author. In any case, the view of adolescence taken in this book is rather more far-reaching than I've encountered before. For males, adolescence, as defined in the book, extends until about 27, and for females, about 24. One of the last things to develop during the adolescent years is the ability to plan appropriately, and to measure risk. That's a bit close to the bone, in my case, including the upper age limit for males.

So, given my newly recent adulthood, it's time I started planning a bit better, and taking into consideration some of the risks involved, before taking on a new activity. I'm old enough now to consider having to stay up until 2am in the morning - note the modal "have to" in there; it's fine when it's voluntary - to be a risk.

There is another risk in that I don't give any of the activities that I do their due attention. This semester I studied a very interesting pure maths subject. It's exactly the sort of subject that I returned to maths to study. It's a complete abstraction of the number system that we know, and I was very, very interested in it. I got 59.

Now, if I can't put in the required effort to get a credit, as a bare, bare minimum, in a subject by which I'm completely fascinated, something is pretty wrong. It's enough to make me reconsider the whole degree.

So I need to organise things a bit better (there's the planning for you), and to recognise the consequencesof doing too much (there's the risk assessment for you).

Wow. Being grown up is really boring. *sigh*

* One massively overdue task on my to-do list, though, has been recently despatched. Yes, shire heraldry has now been submitted. I might just crow about that for a while. Rah. Although, it did take a bit of poking from Blayney to make me do it, so I can't take all the credit. Still, it's not on my to-do list anymore.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Retro Seamstress said...

And now you've committed this to writing, I will proceeed to repeatedly beat you over the head with it everytime you decide to take up yet another hobby that only requires an hour or so a week.

I still think you have fear of the void and you are in prime void zone at the moment. You need a few "rainy day" tasks (appropriate right now as it is indeed raining). Things that are one off, short projects that you can do in a day or so and are great for filling downtime. You run into trouble when you sign yourself up for something like a course that requires ongoing regular involvement.

BTW: Do your tax return. Spend the money and pay someone else to sort it out for you and then you don't need to go there again.

8:59 am  
Blogger Dr Krystal said...

Darling!

You can't go and grow-up on me like that, I'll be the only one left in the land of make believe!

However, if you take up one more hobby or start one more degree or learn one more musical instrument, I think i will have to kill you. Or as Girl suggests, pay someone to do it for me *giggle*

However i admit that the void is a scary place. I know, I am in it right now. I've been through the upheaval of moving, and have experienced the excitment of being in a new place. The I entered the void. It was scary at first, the void, the lack of things and people in my life, but then I became used to it. I have spent a lot of time on my own, and I know that I am perfectly capable of being on my own. However it is not my preference and I am becoming weary in the void. I miss friends. I mean, whilst specifically miss each and every one of my friends, but I also miss the general concept of having friends at all. So I feel that I have a valid excuse to put something in the void.

There are consequences when you do too much, and personally I worry about the effect that stress and lack of sleep have on your health darling! I think you should finish your degree(s) and move to York so I can keep a closer eye on you!

But in the end, if you decide to take up mosaicing and learn to morris dance, I will still love you. Even as I slowly strangle you !!!

2:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home